Safe Boating Keeps Focus on Fun
HAUPPUAGE N.Y. (JULY 13, 2016)—Many New Yorkers will be traveling to the beach this summer for fun in the sun, and for some that includes going on boat excursions. Some may drive cabin cruisers or deck boats, while others may drive Jet Skis. Whether you are a beginner or have been driving one for years, consider this: According to the Insurance Information Institute, in 2014, there were 175 reported recreational boating accidents in New York State, with 17 percent involving personal watercrafts such as Jet Skis and WaveRunners.
In the interest of making your summer on the water fun, relaxing and injury-free, here are a few tips from Allstate and the Insurance Information Institute on Jet Ski and personal watercraft safety:
- Create 100 feet or more of space between you and a swimmer or someone using water skis
- Make sure you are staying to the right if another boat is coming toward you
- Know who has the right of way
- Do not drink alcohol while driving
- Make sure you have safety equipment with you, such as life jackets
- Let someone know where you’re going and how long you expect to be away
- Carry a working VHF radio that is monitored by the U.S. Coast Guard and all maritime law enforcement
- Have a navigation system such as a GPS and carry a backup paper chart
“While having fun is a priority on the water, these simple tips can help boaters stay safe,” said Jaclyn Darrohn, Allstate New York spokesperson. “Stay informed and always practice safety procedures to help your summer be as fun and memorable as you want it to be.”
If you’re a boat or personal watercraft owner, it’s important to keep your watercraft protected against the unexpected year round with boat insurance coverage. Learn more about ways to protect your boat with insurance by contacting a local Allstate agent. To find an agent in your area, visit www.allstate.com.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life’s uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Now celebrating its 85th anniversary as an insurer, Allstate is widely known through the slogan “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®.” The Allstate brand’s network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services to customers in the United States and Canada. In 2015, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate, its employees and agency owners gave $36 million to support local communities. Allstate employees and agency owners donated 230,000 hours of service across the country.
# # #