Allstate: Replacements of Catalytic Converters up Nearly 1,200% Since 2019
What you can do to combat surging thefts
The latest numbers from Allstate show that catalytic converter replacements among its customers grew 1,155% nationally between 2019 and 2022. You read that right: Over a thousand percent!
And Allstate is not alone in this epidemic. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, an insurance industry trade organization, catalytic converter thefts nationwide increased 1,215% between 2019 and 2022.
In several states, Allstate saw replacements soar well beyond the national rate during this time. In the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and Washington had increases over 7,000%. On the East Coast, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New York rounded out the top five states with increases between 4,500% and 7,000%.
What’s the deal with catalytic converters, anyway? They control your car’s exhaust emissions. They also contain precious metals that attract thieves.
Check Your Insurance Coverage
Comprehensive coverage like that offered by Allstate can pay to repair or replace a covered vehicle damaged by vandalism, theft or attempted theft.
Try to Prevent the Theft
You can help make your catalytic converter – and car – less appealing to thieves:
- Park in well-lit areas and close to building entrances.
- If a garage is available, park inside and keep the garage door shut.
- Use an alarm system to alert thieves that a vehicle is protected.
- Check if your local repair shop or police department can help. This can include:
- Mounting a steel plate or cabled covering directly to the catalytic converter to prevent it from being stolen.
- Painting the converter with a bright color and putting your vehicle identification number (VIN) on it.
Allstate is a proud member of the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), which has supported state legislation designed to reduce catalytic converter thefts, including making it harder to resell stolen parts and imposing tougher penalties for thieves.
From comprehensive coverage to savings for safe driving with Drivewise®, Allstate offers a range of affordable, simple and connected solutions to protect drivers and vehicles. Discover more at Allstate.com or follow @Allstate on social media.