Allstate Offers Ways to File a Claim Following Winter Storm Riley
The dangerous weather associated with Winter Storm Riley that just swept across the northeast corridor can cause significant damage. Allstate customers whose homes or automobiles have been damaged by this winter weather can start the claim process by calling 1-800-54-STORM (1-800-547-8676), contacting any local Allstate agent or visiting the report a claim site on Allstate.com.
Allstate and the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety offer the following tips to check your home or car for damage caused by a winter storm:
- If your home has sustained serious structural damage from snow collapse or falling tree limbs, be extremely cautious about entering the home. Debris may be hazardous and the structure could be unstable.
- Make temporary repairs to protect undamaged property. Save receipts for purchases on repairs until it is determined what expenses your insurance company may reimburse for as part of your homeowners policy.
- Avoid using sharp tools or ice picks to clear gutters or downspouts – they can potentially cause more damage to your property.
- Avoid injuring yourself, don’t get on the roof, work on a ladder or work beneath a roof that has accumulated large amounts of snow. There is a danger of falling icicles or avalanching snow.
- Watch inside your home for unexpected water leaks on walls or ceilings. Ice build-up in eaves and gutters following heavy snows can prevent drainage, causing water from melting roof snow to seep under shingles or tiles and into the home. If you suspect damage caused by “ice damming” call your insurance company.
- Review your auto policy to determine whether you have coverage for falling objects or collisions. Contact your agent or insurance company with any questions.
- Report possible claims to your insurance company promptly. Have policy numbers ready when you call.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life’s uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Allstate is widely known through the slogan “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®.” Allstate agencies are in virtually every local community in America.
# # #