Allstate Hurricane Preparedness: Hurricane Irma
Approaching storm could mean damage and heavy rain
LARGO, FL, Sept. 6, 2017 – Hurricane Irma is approaching, and it is important to respect local authorities and law enforcement decisions on when to evacuate and when it is safe to return home.
Do you know what steps to take to prepare your home and your loved ones when a hurricane or tropical storm threatens? Check out the Hurricane Prevention Guide to help make sure you and your loved ones are ready. Allstate and Castle Key Insurance also recommend homeowners consider following these easy steps to help make the rebuilding process easier should you incur damage from Irma.
Hurricane Preparedness: Before you leave…
- Collect all your important papers and documents. This includes bank and financial information, as well as your bills and checkbooks.
- Coastal homeowners may have their insurance for wind and flood with a different insurance company than their primary homeowners’ insurance policy. Make sure to gather information about your homeowner, flood, wind and auto insurance carriers and policy numbers.
- If you have enough time and don’t have an up-to-date home inventory, walk through your home with a video or still camera to record your possessions. A home inventory can help facilitate the claim process. At the same time, make a list of what items you want to take during an evacuation.
- Gather important documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and identification. Make sure to place them in a waterproof container.
- Review your homeowners insurance policy to determine whether it provides for additional living expenses when you are prohibited from using your home because of civil authority orders. Contact your agent with any questions.
- Review your auto policy to determine whether you have coverage for flying objects or rising water. Contact your agent with any questions.
Hurricane Preparedness: If you leave…
- As you are preparing for hurricane Irma, respect local authorities and law enforcement decisions on when to evacuate and when it is safe to return home.
- Grab an Emergency Supply Kit, including a three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, radio and batteries, flashlight and a first-aid kit.
- Tell your neighbors or family members where you will be going and exchange contact information.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life’s uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Allstate is widely known through the slogan “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®.” Allstate agencies are in virtually every local community in America.
# # #