Allstate Helps Prevent New Yorkers from Accidental Poisoning During Poison Prevention Month this March
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (March 2, 2017) – Coming into contact with poisons may not be something you think about on a daily basis. But the fact is, many people are around common household items that can be as dangerous as poison if handled incorrectly or accidentally ingested. March is recognized as Poison Prevention Month, and Allstate Insurance Company wants to make sure all New Yorkers take inventory and care of these potentially harmful items in their household.
Incorrect use of medications is one of the largest categories for accidental poisonings. Medicines, if taken improperly, can often have some of the same effects as ingesting a poison. Remember these tips:
- Taking a larger-than-suggested dose does NOT mean faster/better results. Stick to the instructions.
- Read the labels before taking – Sounds simple, but so often we skip this step and could miss information about dangerous interactions with food or other drugs.
- Keep medicines in their original bottles/containers – Pill organizers are helpful, but you may forget which medication is which, or leave it where a child could access it.
- See the light – If you are taking medicine at night, take an extra second to turn on the lights and make sure you have the right dosage and drug.
- Keep medicines where kids can’t reach them and keep them separated from food items – Child “resistant” doesn’t mean they won’t find a way to get into the container.
- Double check the markings on dosage cups/spoons – Giving someone the wrong dosage could be harmful.
Household Chemicals/Cleaning Products
- Don’t mix cleaning products, as you might create toxic fumes.
- Be aware of lookalikes. Many non-food products have “twins” that can look just like something delicious. For example, a highly concentrated detergent pod could be mistaken for a small piece of hard candy.
Here are a few other lookalikes to check for in your home:
|Food item||Looks just like|
|Apple juice||Pine cleaner, candle oil|
|Blue sports drink||Glass cleaner|
|Candy coated chocolates (like M&Ms)||Cold medicines, iron supplements, pain relievers|
|Candy “tablets” (like Smarties or Pez)||Antacids or vitamins|
As the names might suggest, poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac can cause irritation (sometimes severe) to a person’s skin when they have direct contact. Here are a few more plants that can cause severe reactions if eaten (so do not use for garnish, or in a floral display that is placed near food):
- Narcissus – Sometimes confused with onions.
- Bittersweet Nightshade – Has colorful berries.
- Rhododendron (Azalea) – Can cause many symptoms including slow/irregular heartbeat.
Keep the poison control number (800-222-1222) near your phone at home and program it to your mobile phone. If you need to call, try to stay calm and have details ready: what was taken, when and how much was ingested and the age and weight of the victim. Everyone is susceptible to poisoning, but children are especially at risk — get a “child’s-eye” view of your home and see what temptations are in their path … then remove the potentially dangerous items.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, protecting approximately 16 million households from life’s uncertainties through auto, home, life and other insurance offered through its Allstate, Esurance, Encompass and Answer Financial brand names. Allstate is widely known through the slogan “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®.” The Allstate brand’s network of small businesses offers auto, home, life and retirement products and services to customers in the United States and Canada. In 2015, The Allstate Foundation, Allstate, its employees and agency owners gave $36 million to support local communities. Allstate employees and agency owners donated 250,000 hours of service across the country.
# # #