The Calm before the Storm
Hurricane Preparation Tips
Allstate believes preparing in advance of a storm gives homeowners the best chance to minimize risk and start on the road to recovery. "Understanding your insurance coverage and preparing for the dangers of a hurricane can help to minimize property damage and protect your family," says Allstate New York spokesperson Krista Conte. Allstate suggests considering the following steps to help you and your family prepare for a hurricane:
- How to help protect yourself and your family in advance of a storm:
Conduct a home inventory recording each of your possessions. It’s also helpful to keep track of model numbers and stores where items were purchased. Store your inventory, including photos and videos, in a safe place away from your home.
- Develop an evacuation plan that includes identification of safe areas, escape routes, meeting locations and plans for pets.
- Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit including a three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, radio and batteries, flashlight and first-aid kit.
- Remove any diseased and damaged limbs from trees to keep them from blowing around during a storm and causing property or automobile damage.
- Purchase materials such as ¾-inch plywood that can be used to reinforce your windows, doors and garage doors. Install anchors and pre-drill holes for the plywood so you can install them quickly in the event of a storm.
- Install head and foot bolts in doors for extra protection.
- Minimize your losses:
Review your home insurance policy and coverage limits with an agent. Know what you are and are not covered for in the event of a hurricane.
- Find out if you have comprehensive auto coverage for damage to your car caused by falling objects or flood.
- Gather important documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and identification. Make sure to place them in a waterproof container.
For more information on preparing for catastrophes, visit www.allstate.com/catastrophe.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer known for its "You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®" slogan. Now celebrating its 80th anniversary as an insurer, Allstate is reinventing protection and retirement to help nearly 16 million households insure what they have today and better prepare for tomorrow. Consumers access Allstate insurance products (auto, home, life and retirement) and services through Allstate agencies, independent agencies, and Allstate exclusive financial representatives in the U.S. and Canada, as well as via www.allstate.com and 1-800 Allstate®.↑ Back to Top